“I found Liz at a particularly low point in my life while struggling with fertility problems...one of my happiest days was getting the results of my pregnancy test and sharing it with Liz. I cannot recommend her enough”.
The aim of fertility treatment is not only to achieve pregnancy but to have the healthiest possible baby - at birth and for the rest of it's life. The combination of acupuncture and nutrition works beautifully to support this. A July 2016 acupuncture fertility study at the Homerton Hospital in London showed double the pregnancy rate with acupuncture treatment during the IVF cycle. Whether you are trying to conceive naturally or planning an IVF cycle acupuncture and nutrition can help.
"I would not hesitate to recommend Liz to anyone looking for fertility acupuncture. I found her to be extremely knowledgeable and enjoyed her treatments. She has a unique, valuable mix of skills with her background in nursing, women's health, nutrition and TCM acupuncture. I always felt I got more than just an acupuncture treatment from her what with the nutritional advice she gave me to help with hormone balancing and a good chat too! Highly recommended. Thanks Liz." see more testimonials here
acupuncture for natural fertility
Benefits of acupuncture include... more regular menstrual cycles, regulating hormones, reduced anxiety, reduced BMI, reduced FSH and LH, increased oestrogen, more frequent and stronger ovulation, stronger luteal phase, and increased blood flow to the uterus to help build uterine lining. All of these factors can contribute to improved fertility and pregnancy success.
acupuncture for ivf support
Studies show improved hormone balance, stress reduction, better embryo development, and increased IVF success with acupuncture. Some studies have shown particular benefit from pre and post embryo transfer treatments. A recent review suggests that it is most beneficial to have acupuncture through the IVF cycle rather than just at embryo transfer. Please scroll down to see research.
acupuncture to help male fertility
Benefits to sperm motility, morphology, and fertilisation rate at IVF have also been observed in acupuncture studies, and it can be beneficial to treat the couple rather than just the woman. The effects of diet on sperm have been well studied. Research on diet to improve sperm quality can be seen here and diet to improve egg quality here.
the fertility treatment plan
It is ideal to start working with acupuncture and diet during the three months before conceiving as this is the time period affecting both egg and sperm quality. It is a good idea to come and have an initial consultation quite early in the planning process so that diet changes can be introduced gradually. We can then plan together what treatment you would like.
acupuncture for fertility and IVF - the research
acupuncture for IVF
- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07/04/acupuncture-doubles-chance-of-having-a-baby-with-ivf-study-sugge/ acupuncture during the IVF cycle doubled the pregnancy rate in a study of 160 couples at the Homerton Hospital in London
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20621276 reduced stress and anxiety and increased pregnancy rate with acupuncture treatment at embryo transfer
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19118825 benefits to hormone balance with acupuncture treatment during IVF
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16616748 acupuncture after embryo transfer and again 3 days later resulted in higher pregnancy rate
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11937123 acupuncture at embryo transfer resulted in higher pregnancy rate
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16600232 higher pregnancy rate with acupuncture at embryo transfer
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23376852 better embryo development in women with PCOS when acupuncture was performed throughout the IVF cycle
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23512550 higher pregnancy rate with acupuncture during IVF for women when implantation had failed on 2 or more previous IVF cycles
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24854767 review study suggesting that there is more benefit from acupuncture treatment throughout the IVF cycle than just at embryo transfer
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25911598 traditional Chinese medicine combining acupuncture, nutrition and herbs showed improved live birth rates in both non-donor and donor IVF cycles
acupuncture to help ovulation and PCOS
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23482444 small study showing acupuncture improved frequency of ovulation in women with PCOS
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23676106 study comparing the effectiveness of acupuncture vs. Metformin in treating obese type PCOS, both acupuncture and metformin showed benefit but acupuncture was better at improving menstrual regularity and reducing BMI and waist to hip ratio with fewer adverse reactions
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25218925 animal study showing that one acupuncture session improved insulin sensitivity in PCOS
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27136447acupuncture combined with metformin reduced weight and stabilised blood sugar more effectively than metformin alone, suggesting that acupuncture may work as an insulin sensitiser
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23416841 study suggesting that acupuncture benefits PCOS partly by reducing the effect of stress on the body
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3773899/ research article discussing the mechanisms of how acupuncture may benefit ovulation in women with PCOS
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25545309 acupuncture reduced AMH (which is high in PCOS) and reduced size of ovaries to normal levels
acupuncture to reduce FSH
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24711856 small study showing regular acupuncture reduced FSH, LH and stress, and increased oestrogen in women with premature ovarian failure
acupuncture to help male infertility
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19394002 small study showing improvement in sperm motility with acupuncture
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14695986 improvement to sperm morphology with acupuncture
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16009169 improvement to sperm morphology with acupuncture
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12658811 acupuncture improvements in sperm morphology, rapid progression, and fertilisation rate with IVF
- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26791438 comparison study of acupuncture or surgery to treat varicocele, improvements in sperm tests were comparable in the 2 groups